Online Support and Training for School Leaders for a Whole Year
Week to week, step by step, online guidance and support for school leaders in supporting and encouraging teachers and school staff in teaching and modeling SEL.
Do you know how to support and encourage your teachers in doing SEL every day and making SEL a culture in your school?
How does “caring accountability” sound, look, and feel?
Learn simple, quick actions that you can infuse into your normal day to support the growth of SEL and energize teachers and staff.
One of the most important factors for SEL ( social emotional learning) success and growth in a school is principal and leadership support of SEL. I call principals, the gatekeepers for mental health in schools. Without the support of principals, there is no way that SEL is going to grow and flourish in schools and homes.
Most principals and school leaders didn’t grow up with SEL in schools which they attended when they were young, and teacher and administration education programs haven’t offered SEL training classes or information about the brain and nervous system.
The biggest SEL mistake that principals and administrators make is believing that buying a SEL curriculum and doing an introductory training is all that is needed for SEL growth and success.
Teachers are often scared and resistant to teaching SEL because they didn’t grow up with it, and they also might have gone through trauma growing up and as a result, feeling emotions is difficult.
Principals often don’t how to support resistant and scared teachers in doing SEL. Scared and resistant teachers can do an amazing job teaching and modeling SEL with the right support and encouragement.
One of the most powerful places to work on mental health is in the classroom. When teachers incorporate SEL into their classrooms, behavior issues decrease, and attention, focus, and academic performance increase. SEL can have a profound effect on mental health, trauma, stress, equity, and academic performance.
Thus, SEL will make the lives of principals and school leaders easier and less stressful because behavior issues will go down and academics will go up.
Principals and school leaders often don’t how to develop their own social emotional intelligence (SEI) and how to support teachers in developing their SEI.
There is a high probability that SEL in schools or classrooms will plateau or fail. I have been working with SEL in schools for 38 years, and I have learned what it takes for SEL to grow and prosper in a classroom and school.
Come join me this year in empowering your teachers and staff in teaching and modeling SEL and building a SEL culture that will transcend and last beyond your years at your school.
Is this course for you?
This course is for you if you are.…
- Wanting quick, simple ideas for how to support and encourage your K-8 teachers in teaching and modeling SEL in just minutes a day.
- Discovering that SEL has stagnated at your school and there isn’t any growth occurring.
- Watching your SEL curriculum sit on teacher’s shelves.
- Meeting resistance from your teachers in teaching SEL consistently.
- Challenged in creating a “caring SEL accountability” and don’t know how it sounds, feels, and looks.
- Unsure of what to look for in terms of SEL growth when you go into a classroom.
- Scared to be vulnerable and to share your emotions authentically with your staff.
- Needing support in developing your own social emotional intelligence.
- Interested in being trained and supported on a weekly basis through an online, year long, course and monthly live meetings.
- Open to a new way of teaching and modeling SEL that is quick, consistent, brain-based, teacher-friendly, and evidenced based.
- Triggered by your staffs’ and students’ emotions and behavior and finding it difficult to deal with your own emotions
- Feeling alone and isolated as a leader in your school and not safe enough to share your emotions with anyone.
What will you receive?
You will receive…
- Brief, weekly support tips and videos that will guide you in supporting and encouraging SEL’s growth in your school and teachers in doing the SEL lessons in the classroom.
- Weekly prompts for reflection in journaling.
- Monthly live Zoom meeting (1 1/2 hr) to receive support, ask questions, and connect with other principals and school leaders in learning to support and encourage the growth of SEL in a school.
- A teacher edition of the In Focus SEL Curriculum – 36 weeks of 10-15 minute daily lessons that are easy to fit into a busy school schedule. Free when you sign up!
- Access to the In Focus appendix that is online and can be projected on the screen
What will you need to do?
You will need to…
- Watch and read the weekly tips and ideas delivered to your email.
- Practice the weekly skill or focus of reflection.
- Take time to self-reflect and write briefly in a journal on a daily basis
- Participate in monthly live, 1 1/2 hour, coaching and support sessions or listen to the recordings.
What are the benefits of participating in this SEL Leadership course?
You will …
- Learn simple, quick ways to support and encourage your K-8 teachers in teaching and modeling SEL in just minutes a day.
- Learn how to create an emotionally safe school where you and your teachers can be vulnerable, real, and connected.
- Gain strategies for supporting teachers who are resistant and scared to teach and model SEL.
- Integrate simple, quick ways to infuse SEL skills into staff meetings, school announcements, teacher evaluations, parent meetings, and every action of your school day.
- Understand how to energize and empower teachers to doing SEL consistently & effectively by being authentically themselves.
- Learn what to focus on when visiting classrooms and looking for signs of SEL engagement and growth.
- Develop your own social emotional intelligence in baby steps over the course of a year and how to support teachers in developing their own social emotional intelligence.
- Learn what “caring SEL accountability” is and how it sounds, feels, and looks
- Practice new ways to manage unhealthy stress and take good care of yourself while being a principal.
- Identify, manage, express emotions constructively.
- Grow in your ability to self-reflect as a way to increase your self-awareness.
- Gain the ability to effectively deal with your emotional triggers and use them to understand your emotional pain and heal it.
- Understand the social emotional brain and how it connects to SEL.
- Understand the nervous system, both the sympathetic and parasympathetic branches, and how to regulate it.
- Learn quick calming and movement techniques to regulate and balance your nervous system.
- Know your staffs’ and your own areas of strength or intelligence.
- Prevent bullying in school.
- Understand conflict and how to deal with it effectively
- Learn about trauma and how SEL can be of support in dealing with student and teacher trauma.
- Develop new skills and abilities to help your staff work cooperatively and share their strengths and gifts.
- Implement a new way of teaching and modeling SEL that is quick, consistent, brain-based, teacher-friendly, and evidenced based.
- K-8 Principal, assistant principal, social worker, dean of students, or any other SEL leader in a school.
- Motivated to learn and grow in supporting and encouraging teachers in doing SEL consistently and effectively and developing an SEL school wide culture.
- Seeking step by step guidance and support from a teacher, social worker, and SEL trainer who has been working with SEL in schools for 38 years and knows what it takes for SEL to succeed and grow.
- Interested in being supported in developing your own social emotional intelligence in a safe, consistent, step by step way.
When: Watch this course at your convenience (you’ll have lifetime access! – this course doesn’t expire!)
Instructor: Tom McSheehy MSW, LSW
Tom McSheehy taught elementary and middle school for 21 years and has been a licensed social worker / family therapist for 28 years. He has worked with SEL in schools for 38 years and has been an SEL presenter and coach for 25 years.
Tom has learned the critical factors necessary for SEL to succeed and flourish in a classroom, school, or school district.
Tom is the author of the SEL teacher book, In Focus:Improving Social Emotional Intelligence, One Day at a Time.
Training / Support Details:
During the course (with the exception of December and January), there will be a monthly meeting via live webinar (1 1/2 hr ) to share new information, answer questions, give support, or have a discussion.
Mandatory Book: Please choose the free In Focus book you want to order when you checkout.
View a Sample Lesson from the In Focus SEL Curriculum:
K-2 Grade Teacher Book
3-5 Grade Teacher Book
6-8 Grade Teacher Book
Evidenced-based Research Results of the Effectiveness of the In Focus SEL Curriculum:
My In Focus SEL curriculum is being across the United States in over 115 school districts and is positively impacting the mental health of over 100,000 students.
It is an unique and effective model of SEL that teachers are loving because it is focused on daily consistency, quick lessons, brain-based sequence of lessons, integration into other subjects, and an emphasis on supporting teachers’ development of their SEI.
- 82% reduction in fighting
- 67% reduction in harassment and offensive language
- 54% reduction in behavior referrals to the office
- 33% reduction in bullying
- 55% increase in attendance
*Evidence-based research conducted at Eberhart Elementary (Chicago Public Schools) and Timberline K-8 (Longmont, CO) in 2017-18. Both schools are 90% low-income.